Bandits Launch Fresh Attack On Isanlu Makutu-Idofin Highway In Kogi

 Terrorists Launch Fresh Attack On Isanlu Makutu-Idofin Highway In Kogi, Several Persons Feared Abducted

A group of terrorists have launched a fresh attack along the Isanlu Makutu–Idofin corridor in the Yagba East Local Government Area of Kogi State, leaving residents and travellers in a state of fear.


Eyewitnesses said that the attackers struck suddenly on Saturday afternoon, causing people in the area to scamper for safety.


Meanwhile, the exact number of victims abducted during the incident has not yet been confirmed, as details remain sketchy.


Local sources said the situation has heightened tension across nearby communities, with many residents staying indoors while travellers are diverting routes to avoid the troubled stretch of road.


However, security agencies have been alerted, and operatives were said to be mobilising to the scene at the time of filing this report.


SaharaReporters previously reported that twenty-one passengers, including women and a nine-day-old infant, were rescued on Thursday after bandits launched coordinated attacks on multiple vehicles along major highways in Kogi State.


However, two security personnel — a soldier and a vigilante — were confirmed dead in the fierce gun battle that followed.


SaharaReporters that no fewer than 100 bandits laid siege to vehicles traveling in different directions across the ever-busy corridor around 2pm.


Among the targets were a Toyota Sienna (YAB 968 AX) travelling from Oshogbo to Kaduna; a Toyota Hiace bus (7BGT-78LG) from Owo, Ondo State to Abuja; another Hiace (GKP 178 XA) heading to Ekiti; a Toyota Carina (JMU 648 AA) from Lokoja to Kabba; a Dangote truck transporting 900 bags of cement; and a J5 bus (FTA 313 XV) carrying pepper from Kano to Lagos.


Passengers were reportedly forced to flee into nearby bushes as gunmen attempted to abduct occupants of the vehicles.


A security analyst, Zagazola Makama, confirmed that a joint team comprising operatives of the 12 Brigade Nigerian Army, Quick Response Unit, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, local vigilantes and hunters swiftly mobilised to the scene and engaged the attackers.


Meanwhile, the rescue team successfully secured 21 passengers, identified as Moses Oladimeji, Adele Jacob, Obed Onche, Babayemi Ajayi, Funmilayo Ajayi, Samuel Olawoyin, Samuel Job, Jemima Joseph, Nanko Joseph, Enenche Paulina, Bright Enenche.


Others are; Rachael Enenche, Deborah Enenche (9 days old), Bukola Clement, Toyin Clement, Glory Clement, Faith Clement, Peter Olawale, and the drivers of both the Dangote truck and the J5 bus.


However, the operation recorded casualties.


A soldier attached to the Oshokoshoko sector and one vigilante from Odoape community were fatally hit during the shootout.


Their identities were yet to be released.

Comments